IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe an interesting old person you met
Describe an interesting old person you met
You should say:
Who this person is
Where/when you met this person
What you did with this person
And explain why you think this person is interesting
Who this person is:
- Introduce the person you met and why they stood out to you, e.g. "The interesting old person I met was a man named John, who I encountered while volunteering at a local community center. What struck me about him was his sharp wit and his wealth of life experiences."
Where/when you met this person:
- Provide some context for how and when you met the person, e.g. "I met John on a sunny afternoon while I was helping to serve lunch to the seniors who frequent the center. He was sitting at a nearby table, and struck up a conversation with me as I was passing by."
What you did with this person:
- Describe any activities or conversations you had with the person that made them stand out to you, e.g. "Over the course of the afternoon, John and I talked about everything from politics to travel to his own fascinating career as a journalist. He had a way of making even mundane topics seem interesting and engaging."
And explain why you think this person is interesting:
- Highlight some of the qualities or experiences that make the person interesting, e.g. "What I found so intriguing about John was his sharp mind and his endless curiosity about the world around him. Even in his advanced age, he remained passionate about learning and exploring new ideas."
- Share any specific stories or anecdotes that the person shared with you that made an impression, e.g. "One story that John told me was about his time reporting from war-torn countries in the Middle East. His bravery and dedication to uncovering the truth in the face of danger was truly inspiring."
- Reflect on what you learned from meeting this person, e.g. "Meeting John reminded me of the importance of staying intellectually curious and engaged throughout life, and of the value of seeking out the wisdom and insights of those who have lived longer and experienced more than ourselves."
- "The old person I met who really stood out to me was..."
- "I encountered this person while volunteering at a local community center/attending an event/etc..."
- "What I appreciated most about this person was their sharp mind and their ability to make even mundane topics seem interesting and engaging..."
- "During our time together, we talked about a wide range of topics, from personal experiences to current events to cultural differences..."
- "What I found so fascinating about this person was their wealth of life experiences and their endless curiosity about the world around them..."
- "Meeting this person reminded me of the importance of seeking out the wisdom and insights of those who have lived longer and experienced more than ourselves."