IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a story or novel you have read
Describe a story or novel you have read that you found interesting
You should say:
When you read it
What the story or novel was about
Who wrote it
And explain why it was interesting
When you read it:
- Mention the timeframe during which you read the story or novel, e.g. "I read this book a few years ago, when I was in college."
- Provide any context or circumstances that might have made the reading experience more memorable, e.g. "I remember reading it during a long train ride, which was the perfect setting for getting lost in a good story."
What the story or novel was about:
- Summarize the main plot or premise of the book, e.g. "The book was a mystery novel about a detective who is hired to solve a series of murders in a small town."
- Highlight any unique or interesting elements of the story, e.g. "What made it stand out to me was the way the author wove in themes of betrayal and loyalty, and how each character's motivations and secrets were gradually revealed throughout the book."
Who wrote it:
- Provide the name of the author and any relevant background information, e.g. "The book was written by Agatha Christie, who is known for her gripping mystery novels and memorable characters."
- Mention any other works by the same author that you might have read or heard of, e.g. "I had heard great things about her other books, like 'Murder on the Orient Express' and 'Death on the Nile'."
Why it was interesting:
- Explain what specifically captured your interest or attention, e.g. "I found myself really invested in the story and eager to find out who the killer was."
- Provide examples or evidence from the book to support your opinion, e.g. "The way the author described the characters and their relationships was so vivid and complex, it felt like I was watching a movie."
- Reflect on the broader themes or ideas that the book touched on, and how they resonated with you, e.g. "The book made me think about the nature of justice and the lengths people will go to protect their secrets, and it left me with a lot of questions to ponder."
- "There's this book I read that I can't stop thinking about..."
- "What I loved about the story was..."
- "The author did an amazing job of..."
- "It was fascinating to see how the different pieces of the puzzle came together..."
- "I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery."