IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a difficult thing you did and succeeded
Describe a difficult thing you did and succeeded
You should say:
What it was
How you overcame the difficulties
Whether you got help
And explain how you felt after you succeeded
What it was:
- Think of a challenging experience you've had, such as a difficult project, a personal goal, or a challenging situation.
- Explain what the experience was and why it was difficult.
- For example: "One difficult thing I did was completing my first marathon."
How you overcame the difficulties:
- Share the steps you took to overcome the difficulties.
- Maybe you had to develop new skills, work harder, or persevere through setbacks.
- For example: "To prepare for the marathon, I trained for months, built up my endurance, and sought advice from more experienced runners."
Whether you got help:
- Explain whether you got help from others.
- Maybe you received advice, support, or encouragement from friends, family, or professionals.
- For example: "I received a lot of support from my friends and family, who cheered me on during the race and helped me stay motivated during my training."
And explain how you felt after you succeeded:
- Share your feelings after you succeeded.
- Maybe you felt proud, accomplished, or relieved.
- For example: "After finishing the marathon, I felt an incredible sense of pride and accomplishment. It was an amazing feeling to achieve a goal I had worked so hard for."
- "The experience I have in mind is..."
- "I'd like to talk about a challenging situation I faced..."
- "To overcome the difficulties, I..."
- "Some of the steps I took to succeed were..."
- "I received help from..."
- "Others who helped me were..."
- "After I succeeded, I felt..."
- "The sense of [emotion] I experienced was..."
One challenging experience I would like to share is completing a difficult project at work. The project involved developing a new software application for a client with complex requirements and a tight deadline.
To overcome the difficulties, I took several steps. Firstly, I thoroughly researched the client's needs and conducted a detailed analysis of the project scope. This allowed me to identify potential challenges and devise an effective plan to address them. I also sought advice from senior colleagues who had expertise in similar projects, which provided valuable insights and guidance.
During the project, I encountered various obstacles, such as technical issues, changing client demands, and time constraints. However, I remained resilient and adaptable. I collaborated closely with the development team, communicated regularly with the client to manage expectations, and prioritized tasks based on their urgency and importance. I also dedicated additional hours outside of regular working hours to ensure the project stayed on track.
I was fortunate to have a supportive team that worked collaboratively to overcome challenges. We shared ideas, brainstormed solutions, and provided mutual encouragement. Their assistance and expertise played a crucial role in our success.
After successfully completing the project, I felt an immense sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. It was a rewarding experience to see our hard work come to fruition and deliver a high-quality solution to the client. Moreover, the project's success boosted my confidence in my abilities and reinforced the importance of teamwork and perseverance.
Overall, this challenging project taught me valuable lessons in problem-solving, time management, and effective communication. It highlighted the significance of seeking help and collaborating with others to overcome difficulties. The sense of fulfillment and personal growth I gained from this experience has motivated me to take on further challenges and continue striving for excellence in my professional endeavors.